Tuesday 29 March 2022

ALLAUDIN'S ANSWERS

Nazim Mitha wants to write a book on Allaudin Qureshi and he asked me to answer a few questions. Because i feel he's a great man, I agreed, i wrote. It's been a privilege to know him.  

Allaudin’s questionnaire (posted March 29, 2022)

A1. I have known Allaudin since 1976. We were both acting in Ngugi wa Thiong’o’s and Micere Mugo’s play, The Trial of Dedan Kimathi that premiered at Kenya National Theatre before heading to Lagos to feature in FESTAC. Allaudin had a senior role, I believe he was the Judge who presided over Kimathi’s trial. Very exciting time.

A2. My first impressions of Allaudin have never changed. I found him warm hearted, kind, and an excellent actor. Of the three Asian actors who were playing in wazungu roles, Allaudin was the most engaging off set and I believe we quickly struck up a friendship.

A3. My main connection with Asian African theatre was through Allaudin since he not only acted. He also directed productions and started his own theatre group, Natak. He would call me whenever he was having a show since I started working with Weekly Review/Nairobi Times and I had a theatre column. The theatre scene was vibrant and there were several theatre companies, European and African and wrote about them all, although I didn’t follow other Asian companies. I don’t even know if they existed. All I knew was that occasionally, the Asian community invited famous Indian singers to perform at Kenya National theatre. Allaudin also had an Asian theatre column which played a big part in activing that community.

A4. Allaudin’s qualities and attributes are many. First and foremost is his kindness and sweet spirit. He has such a warm heart, and although I know he is a businessman, he has the heart of an artist, a gentle, creative spirit and a loving family man. I also think that the theatre and acting are in his blood. I think he would have loved to be an actor and director full time if he could have. In Dedan Kimathi, he was so commanding and projected authority and power. So creativity, kindness, humor, and thoughtful insight. He is also an excellent writer whose theatre reviews were sought after among his community.

A5. No doubt Allaudin has made a huge impact in all of those spheres. I cannot speak of the broadcasting because I rarely listened to radio. Yet knowing how much Kenyans love radio plays and broadcasting, Allaudin’s name and voice are renowned among radio listeners. In film, I cannot speak of all the films he has been in, but I have no doubt that whenever he auditioned for a part, he got it. Having a full time job in business curtailed his time, but he always had time for the stage and that is where he excelled, especially with Natak. But he was called upon to act with other theatre companies as well. So the greatness of Allaudin is that he transcended racial, religious, and language barriers to appeal to many audiences. I would say that Allaudin also has that ineffable quality called Charisma, that invisible attraction that commands respect, admiration, and people’s full attention. He’s admired and he hasn’t a threatening bone in his body

 A6. I cannot speak for the Asian African community as I am more acquainted with the African community, but I do believe that thousands of ordinary Asian people know more about culture and the arts because of Allaudin. His knowledge of music and Indian artists is extensive, I believe so he could bring the best of India to local audiences through his broadcasting. Acting of course, attracted many theatre lovers and whole families, so there is little doubt that he is a Name not easily forgotten within the wider African Asian community.

A7. I think Allaudin should run a series of workshops, either affiliated or independent of a local university or community centre. He should invite young people, especially using social media. But I know he like me is modest and isn’t good at pushing himself. Alternatively, he (or you could assist) could be in being part of a Q&A panel or series of panels or just pairs, him and one questioner.

I’m now thinking of some of the videos I see on YouTube where one interesting character, a philosopher, political journalist, actor, or whomever, is interviewed one on one at places like the Commonwealth Club, etc. So why couldn’t you arrange that. The interviewer is knowledgeable about Allaudin’s life and knows how to interview. The interview could be filmed and the film put on youtube and shared both privately and publicly. Doing a short film on video is a perfect idea and I know one Chinese friend who would be happy to assist me and Allaudin.

A8. As for lessons to be learned from Allaudin’s  life: to be kind, generous, well-read, eager to give your best all the time, and outgoing when you can see your spirit will be well received. Otherwise, don’t cast your pearls before swine.

Thanks Nazim

Warm regards,

Margaretta

March 29,2022

No comments:

Post a Comment